Re: [ga] RE: At-Large Supporting Organization

Jon,

Thank you for offering your views on an At-Large Supporting Organization.
Dialogue is important, and I am pleased to see that one of our DNSO-elected
directors has joined in the conversation.

At the heart of your commentary is the underlying question, "is it a wise
decision to have a Supporting Organization for the At-Large"?

There are several respected members of our community that believe this action
to be wise, that spent a year's time and an incredible amount of effort on
worldwide outreach to arrive at this decision.  These include:

1.  The founding Chairman of the ICANN Board
2.  The former Vice Chairman of ICANN's Board of Directors and immediate past
Chairman of the Asia and Pacific Internet Association
3.  The President of the Internet Society Chapter of Benin who also serves on
the Board of Trustees of AfriNIC
4.  The Special Envoy of the Secretary General of the United Nations to the
Balkans
5.  The Chairman of the French Chapter of the Internet Society
6.  The Supervisor of the Taiwan Network Information Centre who also serves
as a Commissioner on Taiwan's Consumer Protection Commission
7.  The President of the United States Council for International Business,
and a former ambassador
8.  The co-founder of the Latin America and Caribbean Country Code Top-Level
Domain Organization, and a Board Member of the Internet Society's Mexican
chapter.
9.  The former director of the Carter Center's Democracy Program, and former
director of the Center for Democracy and Governance at the U.S. Agency for
International Development (USAID)

I consider this team to be sufficiently representative, well-credentialed,
and eminently capable of reaching a wise decision after a year's worth of
sustained effort.  The Board asked for a recommendation, and received a
recommendation -- to create a Supporting Organization for the At-large.

In my view, I believe that it is now time for the Board to articulate why the
recommendation of its own hand-selected committee of experts is "unwise".