Re: [ga] ICANN reimburse $75,000 to GAC for GAC Secretariat

From: "Cade,Marilyn S - LGA" <mcade@att.com>
"We are all engaged in trying to achieve an effective next stage to ICANN."

You seem to be missing a lot of history, when did AT&T start paying you to become involved
in the DNS industry ? Is C. Michael Armstrong aware of your activities ?

Going back in time...
ICANN was created to add 5 or 6 TLDs to the legacy root servers as a Proof-of-Concept
market trial. The thinking was (at the time) that the obvious 5 or 6 TLDs would be added in
a few months and people would move rapidly forward to the "next stage". It took years and
it was a fiasco. Part of what took time was the pushing aside of the obvious people and companies
in line, in favor of insiders carefully positioned and selected by the I* society. No one was fooled.
Despite that, the 5 or 6 TLDs have helped to develop people and companies with an interest in an SLD.TLD name. Other companies, such
as http://www.New.Net, have accomplished more, in less time. People can now compare. More importantly, companies can now move
forward with more TLDs
and also add to the services offered to the people and companies emerging from the IPv4 32-bit DNS
experiments. ICANN is no longer needed, but it will clearly now grow and prosper. About all it
can really do is manage 0:0 .ARPA and IN-ADDR.ARPA. Since many of the ICANN roots come
from the .ARPA and DARPA funding days, it should be no surprise that the "owners" of large
IPv4 32-bit non-TOS address blocks would continue to back ICANN, to maintain their control.
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space

Freedom-loving-people can route around 0:0 .ARPA....and sell services to people and
companies that emerge from the marketing experiments held in the IPv4 32-bit DNS "sandbox".
The Next Generation Internet and 128-bit DNS will open up many opportunities for small to
mid-size companies. It should be no surprise that large companies will pay lobbyists to oppose it.
Ultimately, the people will choose as they create the marketplace.

Here is one sample of what the people want....they appear to be getting what they want...

http://www.icann.org/comments-mail/icann-current/msg00342.html
10514 INC
9264 ONLINE
7288 NET
6472 USA
4481 GROUP
4101 WEB
3891 TECH
3077 UK
2762 DESIGN
2570 SYSTEMS
2542 IT
2415 US
=====

By the way, who owns http://www.ATT.ONLINE ?

http://www.name-space.com
http://www.adns.net/NEWS/2002070101.html

Jim Fleming
2002:[IPv4]:000X:03DB:...IPv8 is closer than you think...
http://www.ntia.doc.gov/ntiahome/domainname/130dftmail/unir.txt