Re: [ga] Re: and if we addressed the problem at its real root? (was Re: Names Council Resolution on Reform)

Dassa
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dassa" <dassa@dhs.org>
To: <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Monday, August 05, 2002 3:18 PM
Subject: RE: [ga] Re: and if we addressed the problem at its real root? (was
Re: Names Council Resolution on Reform)

I have a better one. I have a set of gateways up, and running in my lab
with a couple of WAN-channel simulators on it; The system ha several
load generating systems ad it emulates essentially a tunnel-forwarded
infrastructure at an OC3 throughput without any real issue. In fact after
some more work I will be filing this with the IETF as a practical
endorsement of the Internet-II architetcure.

The issues come into managing NAT gateways and the pain involved, not in
whether the tunnel headers can be effectively rewritten and tracked and that
is identical to the way DNS was managed 10 years ago. Just give it a year or
two and tools for managing the NAT topology and translations will also be
there.

> NAT
> breaks a lot of DNS related communications at the application level.

...but since this is because those technologies were never built to use a
NAT client, embedding a NAT infrastructure that looks just like a DNS
calling model to the Client cures most of these breakages, and for those
that it doesn't, they are easily rewritten... and hence - this also becomes
no problem. Personally my take is that the developers will rebuild them with
a NAT gateway infrastructure too!

Don't let simple issues stop you from the bigger achievement. There is
nothing technical that cannot be accomplished - its all a matter of the cost
of ownership and after some period of evolution, the NAT model will work
just fine... Whether you personally buy in or not.

Take care -
Todd