Re: [ga] Re: ICANN & transfers

Don and all assembly members,

Don Brown wrote:

> Tuesday, July 30, 2002, 8:37:31 PM, vinton g. cerf <vinton.g.cerf@wcom.com> wrote:
> [SNIP]
>
> vgc> It looks so me as if we need something more refined than dis-
> vgc> accreditation as the principal tool providing incentive to adhere
> vgc> to contract terms.
>
> vgc> v
>
> Why? Breach is Breach. There is nothing that says you Can't give
> notice and allow a period of time for the Registrar to Cure it. In
> fact, most contracts provide for a notice and cure period.

  Yes.  And this was discussed at some length when these contracts
were being developed.  However Joe Sims and Louis Touton
did not listen or just ignored the call for some serious modifications
in order to AT THAT TIME, provide for clauses in these
contracts to at least address this foreseen problem.

> You seem to be looking for reasons not to even try to fix this
> transfer problem.

  Yes, I must say that does seem to be Vint's tone in his responses.

> Today, we have a transfer problem caused by only one Registrar.  Left
> unchecked, what can we reasonably expect in the future?

  More of the same.  A big mess...

> ICANN has, at the very least, an obligation to all of the Other
> Registrars who are following the Rules, to at least try to intervene
> and stop this practice. Moreover, ICANN has an obligation to the
> grass-roots Domain Registrants who are being punished and deceived.

  Yes they do.  However they lack for some reason(s) to be willing
to do so.  To me this is a basic stability problem that keeps getting
bigger...

> It's ICANN's job.

  Well yes.  But it is also each of the stakeholders job as well.  We
must continue to insist on the ICANN staff doing it's job while
at the same time helping by providing potential solutions also...

> Thanks,
>
> ----
> Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
> donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
> PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
> Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
> ----

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827