[ga] Principles and Processes for Gaining and Losing Registrars

Ross,

Since apparently no one on the Transfers Task Force has ever taken up your
call to discuss within the TF the "Principles and Processes for Gaining and
Losing Registrars", a document that took several months of intense effort by
the registrars to prepare (and which has been available to the TF since 29
October 2001), perhaps we could discuss this document on the GA list.  I have
concerns which stem from the approach being considered, and would ask you to
review the following section:

13)  "If the Losing Registrar chooses not to honor all transfer requests from
the Gaining Registrar pursuant to section 12, the Losing Registrar must
provide the Gaining Registrar with a written statement describing the
specific minimum standards and/or processes set forth in this document that
the Gaining Registrar must comply with in order that the Losing Registrar may
resume honoring transfer requests from the Gaining Registrar."
http://www.icann-registrars.org/pdfs/rc-irdx-091801-v1r0d8.PDF

It strikes me that under this proposal while the competing registrars are
busy throwing punches at each other, registrants will be unable to have their
transfers processed.  While this may serve the needs of certain registrars,
registrants should not be held hostage to the registrar community while you
folks thrash out your differences.  Would you mind going back to the drawing
table and drafting some protections for the registrant community in the event
of disputes between gaining and losing registrars?