From: Jeff Williams [mailto:jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2002 2:03 AM
To: Cade,Marilyn S - LGA
Cc: dnso Tran TF list; ga@dnso.org; Nancy J. Victory; Don Evans; cathy
Handley
Subject: Re: Getting to effective and meaningful... and staying
focused...

Marilyn and all assembly members,

Cade,Marilyn S - LGA wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> As chair, it is inappropriate for me to provide an 'answer' to work which the TF
> is undertaking. I noted that Danny Younger's questions were very pertinent. And,
> the GA rep forwarded to the TF.

  Well thank you at least for forwarding Danny's very good and "pertinent"
question to the TF...  However Danny was asking YOU specifically
in his question, not the TF.  Common courtesy would dictate in my experience
that YOU Marilyn should have provided AN answer even if it was not
one that the TF supported at this time.

  Hence your comment or statement regarding "Responsible Chairmanship"
seems to ring a little off key... >:)

> I don't prejudge the outcome of the work of the TF. When I was elected chair, I
> noted that I intended to try to manage the process,NOT lobby the outcome. The BC
> has a different representative than me on the TF.

  Good!  This is very basically as it should be.

> So, no, I won't be answering the question from my personal view. And, no, it isn't spin.

Ah!  Well that says allot, thank you.  So than whom if not the chair, speaks
for or can answer questions?  Does the TF have a spokesperson?  Or
do questions such as Danny's just go unanswered...???

> It is responsible chairpersonship... :-)

  Oh is it?  Hummm?  Well respectfully I would have to disagree based
on my own experience, and the experience of other chairs of many other
similar TF's, Ect., over a 23 year span...

> So, no, you can't expect anything further from me on this until the TF delivers
> their views.....
>
> You can, and should expect to see, further consideration within the TF. IF they agree
> that this is a priority. They have a lot of work to do.  Let's be sure that we understand
> that the TF needs to set priorities...
>
> I've got my priorities straight: Focus on facilitating the work of the TF to achieve
> supportable processes and policy.
>
> Noise isn't a useful way to contribute... if one wants a balanced outcome, reflective
> of the broad interests of the Internet.... Meaningful work, which includes effective outreach,
> from well intentioned people ...is......
>
> Now that sounds like something you could support, Jeff.
>
> Marilyn

Jeffrey A. Williams