Re: [ga] Once more into the breach....

At 05:09 PM 27/07/02 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

>We have the capability of becoming a resource center that
>can aggregate background materials and documents to rapidly
>facilitate the learning process.  This will become highly
>important when the policy-development process moves into
>high gear -- the 30-45 day cycle proposed by the ERC.

Quite true. However, whose responsibility is it to
organize and maintain that resource center? Should it be
the Chair/Alt Chair? A new and separate position? Elected?

One could make the case that those responsible could do
so in such a way as to be misleading, or promote certain
viewpoints. Factual information is neutral, its human
manager(s) may not be.

I am thinking along the lines of Usenet where there are
numerous newsgroup FAQs made available. In some cases
this is done by the newsgroup originator or moderator,
in others, some one or few individuals take it upon
themselves to do so. There are all sorts of models but
in general I suspect that the less formal the newsgroup,
for example in unmoderated ones and/or in alt., the
more likely the FAQ is maintained by some one or few
who have just taken the initiative to do so, and other
than hopefully having some history and good reputation,
with the group, they're just regular members. Wouldn't
this latter model be preferable for what you are
suggesting? Of course there are often arguments over
who should maintain these FAQs and many newsgroups have
two or more often dueling FAQs, but hey, it's Usenet. -g