Re: [ga] New Research: "Registrations in Open ccTLDs"

On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 11:32:52AM -0400,
 Ben Edelman <edelman@law.harvard.edu> wrote
 a message of 39 lines which said:

> Finally, I investigate open ccTLD registrations that use the same
> second-level strings as the primary .COM domains of major corporations
> worldwide (including the Fortune 1000 and Forbes International 500).  Again,
> many such domains have been registered, and more than two thirds of such
> registrations are by registrants other than the registrant of the
> corresponding .COM.

So what? Is it a problem? Do you really think that one company,
worldwide, is entitled to COMPANY.com, COMPANY.tv, COMPANY.cc,
COMPANY.fr and so on?

If the DNS is hierarchical, it is for a reason: the ability to have
two organizations with the same name coexist.