[ga] On constituencies

Alejandro,

In the Blueprint for Reform, you correctly noted that some constituencies may
cease to be active which might necessitate a change in the size of the
Council.  As I have noted the increasing level of inactivity within your own
Non-Commercial Constituency lately, I would ask what criteria the Board would
use to arrive at a decision to decertify an existing constituency.

Fortunately, we are in a position to evaluate the degree of "activity" within
the NCDNHC because we have recourse to a publicly archived discussion list.
This, however, is not true for other constituencies that don't maintain such
archives and that keep their own inactivity well hidden from the rest of the
community.  This leads me to ask how the relative degree of activity is to be
properly evaluated.

I think we need to take a close look at what is really happening within the
constituent communities and to arrive at a new determination as to who really
belongs in the Council.  Is there ostensibly any difference at all between
the Intellectual Property Constituency and the Business Constituency?  Should
these two groups in fact be merged?  Should the Non-Commercial Constituency
remain intact, or should it be carved up (thereby allowing academic
institutions and NGOs, for example, to form their own separate
constituencies)?

Should the ISPs with only 38 members even have a constituency while
icannatlarge.com with 936 members does not have constituency status?  Are the
600 voting members of the General Assembly not a constituent group in their
own right, with just as much right to representation as the ISPs?  Doesn't
the registrant community deserve to have the Board act on its own motion to
establish a constituency for them?

The ERC proposal regarding the GNSO does little to implement any meaningful
reform where it is most needed -- you have simply given us a clone of the
DNSO... we expected a lot more thought being put into this major problem
area.

You have had the benefit of extensive commentary on DNSO reform over the last
eighteen months... Why then so little by way of actual reform?