Re: Tucows letter, was RE: [ga] Re: .info LR2 process ...

Dear Karl,
as you probably know we worked out now most of the details of the
Tymnet/APRANET technical talks of 83/84 and the delegation of the ".arpa"
namespace to ARPANET, the support of their ccTLD delegation and our support
of our "com", "net" usage by them, the use of the ".", their use of our
"root name" concept etc.. What resulted in the RFC 920 in Oct 1984 I fully
agree with. and the earlier RFC 883 etc... We still miss the name of the
Tymnet people to know the detail of who proposed what and who were the
Internet people.

What is impressive is that actually we (Tymnet) stroke a moral deal with
them they did respect for now 18 years (we were operating under a FCC filed
rate and we provided them with non charged additional value - at least for
International access and for the naming). So they had a moral obligation
not to create us any conflict. As I suppose they agreed the same with
Telenet people. (Tymnet and Telenet were the two public nets : "com" and
"net" in Tymnet world).

They certainly forgot quickly about the exact deal, but they respected the
status quo very nicely. The "czar" used the name space to control his
sub-name space and not to create conflicts (in Tymnet's approach conflicts
where not a major problem but did not permit to build consistent naming
patterns).

So now the status quo has become a culture that many support without
knowing really why. Some 18 years old fossil religion. Nothing happened in
16 years until Vint Cerf decided to collide with .biz.

Oh! I know status quo is also worth some millions of dollars to some.

But I prefer to believe that it is just sticking to one's word. As it has
certainly been for a few years.
jfc