Re: [ga] Thoughts/question on the WLS

Thomas and all assembly members,

Thomas Roessler wrote:

> On 2002-07-12 09:31:47 -0700, Bret Fausett wrote:
>
> >The registrars have already tacitly agreed that not all
> >anticompetitive acts taken by those under contract with ICANN are
> >ICANN's responsibility to sort out.
>
> Nobody could disagree with this.

  I somewhat disagree with this as a blanket statement.  Yes, as Bret said
"anti competitive acts taken by those under contract with ICANN
are ICANN's responsibility", but only in part.  The stakeholders/users
and DOC/NTIA, are also equally responsible as well.  Hence, in that
ICANN is contracted to DOC/NTIA, and the MoU and White paper
require that stakeholders/users are equal partners, than the ICANN
BoD and staff must seek solutions that satisfy their responsibility
contractually and meet the needs and desires of the stakeholders/usres.

>  As I said before, WLS has some
> aspects which may best be dealt with in court, and some aspects
> which can _only_ be dealt with within the ICANN process: Squashing
> existing businesses isn't something you can fix by establishing and
> enforcing a consensus policy - just like illegal advertising,
> defamation, and all that stuff.  Hoarding, however, is an issue
> which could be fixed that way - and it should be fixed, _before_ WLS
> can start.

  Agreed here to a point.  One must first define what HOARDING
as a practice is.

> --
> Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827