Re: [ga] WLS: Mental Exercize

Friday, July 12, 2002, 10:55:31 PM, Marc Schneiders wrote:

> Discussing the WLS reasons get mixed up easily. We don't want it, so we
> pile up everything we can find, different levels get intertwined.

> Now, if we would suppose that the WLS would not be run by Verisign, but by
> some other company? Would we then like it? If it was put up for bidding?
> Company with the lowest price gets it? Then the wholesale price could
> become something like $ 2.00?

Not I.  There is no pressing reason for there not to be multiple
sources for this type of service, and in fact that system is currently
working without problems.  Even Verisign admits that it does not
create load problems for them, and that server load is not an issue
that should be considered when addressing the WLS issues.

Absent that, what possible reason would there be to support any kind
of monopoly service that guarantees someone a registration of a domain
name that may or may not become available?

The proper way is to just Delete the name according to standard
policies, and let the free open market handle the rest.  No system is
more fair than that.

--
Best regards,
William X Walsh <william@wxsoft.info>