Re: [ga] Thoughts/question on the WLS

On Thu, 11 Jul 2002 08:37:44 -0700, you wrote:

>Here's where I'm going with all this. If the WLS is anticompetitive, why is
>it not preferable to have ICANN take no position on the WLS?

If ICANN's mission is to take no position on initiatives affecting
competition, then I don't see why we should have ICANN at all. Especially
given that in this case "staying neutral" would mean to let a monopoly put a
whole set of companies out of business - of course they could then sue
Verisign and let a court decide, but even if they won the cause, the damage
would already have been irreparable.

(And by the way, the legal instrument might work between US companies... but
I still have to see, for example, a small company in Europe or Asia enter
into litigation with Verisign with success or even with the ability to
support the costs. First of all, which court would be competent to rule on
the case?)
--
.oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220

DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE: This communication is intended only for use by the
addressee. It may contain confidential or privileged information.
Transmission, distribution and/or copy cannot be permitted. Please notify
immediately the sender by replying if you are not the intended recipient.