Re: [ga] Thoughts/question on the WLS

That is usually true. However, it is not totally true in this case
because there is a monopoly involved and WLS will be a monopoly
service.

One of the reasons for ICANN's existence was to break-up the monopoly
and foster competition. I think that's also why VeriSign's contract
requires ICANN's permission/approval for it to offer any other
service. ICANN seems to already have a watch dog/regulatory role.

>From a slightly different perspective, a party can currently obtain
service from several different sources (SnapNames, included) and there
is competition between them. If ICANN approves WLS, then there will be
only one source. So, in that scope your statement is true, since ICANN
would be getting in the way of free enterprise and not fostering
competition.

Within the narrow confines of the foregoing, ICANN's best course of
action is quite clear.

Thursday, July 11, 2002, 4:08:34 PM, Bret Fausett <fausett@lextext.com> wrote:
BF> John Berryhill Ph.D. J.D. wrote:
>> However, ICANN is required to do what it does...in such a manner as to foster
>> and promote some concept of "competition".  Because you are a lawyer, you
>> translate that into some legal standard.

BF> Not at all. What I'm suggesting is that the best way to foster competition
BF> is to get out of the way. Make sure you preserve the private law remedies of
BF> private parties and then let them do what they will.

BF>      -- Bret

BF> --
BF> This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list.

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----