Re: [ga] WLS: Dotster posts the definitive arguments against it, and more

On 11 Jul 2002, at 14:47, Sotiris Sotiropoulos wrote:

> It's called OPPRESSION Leah, otherwise known as ramming
> unpopular/unsavoury things down people's throats without care for the LONG
> TERM effects.  Sooner or later, repressive activities lead to incalculably
> devastating reprisals, otherwise know as uprisings or revolutions.  The
> First Estate of the ancien regime in 18th century France didn't understand
> how their abusive rulership could affect their stability and security
> either. That is, until the guillotines were set up in the marketplaces of
> Paris.  Stop sounding like Marie Antoinette, Leah.

I don't know where you got that, Sotiris.  I did not say anything similar
to "Let them eat cake."  What I said was I don't see how it effects the
stability of the internet, which would continue with or without .com.
Would be there be an upheaval, sure.  Would the net become unstable,
no.

Again, I am 100% against the WLS because that would hurt existing
businesses and consumers.  But opression?  Isn't that normally used to
describe governments and leaders?  Verisign is neither, but controls the
largest TLD.  Therefore, it is in a position to rape the consumer, given its
present popularity.  How long would that popularity last under what you
call this "oppression"?.  You are correct about revolution, but not in the
bloody sense.  The consumer, registrars and public would be up in arms
in a figurative sense and speak with their dollars.

Verisign is trying to go for the money to save themselves from a stock
price fall and declining revnues due to the boom in domain names
ending, the loss of renewals due to transfers, etc.  Consermers have left
their high prices and poor service.  Their desparation may just hurt them
more than finding a way to entice consumers back into their fold.
Registrants have left them in huge numbers for registrars that treat them
better and provide more reasonable pricing.  Verisign has used dirty
tricks to get them back.  Are consumers so stupid as to continue to
purchase a product from a company that is out to gauge them at every
turn and use deceptive practices to boot?  Just how long do you think it
can last?

That being said, please tell me how WLS will effect the stability and
security of the internet?  That is a technical issue.  How is the registry
operation of a service going to effect it?  WLS is not going to technically
effect the stability of the internet, the DNS or the security of the system.
 It's a business issue.

Leah