Re: [ga] Verisign's $200 million commitment for R&D spending

My understanding is that the expense is the effort they make on Atlas and
on the Unicode plug-in and their agreement with MS on that to take the
Asian market left by the Real Names closing. They then hope to propose
Atlas to the ccTLDs for multilingual DNs and to jointly offer seach
services with MS. Then to sweep back Europe with that kind of solution from
their results in Asia. It is not that stupid, but the implication in
termsof weak worldwide monopoly are concerning for all as the Internet
would mainly be either Verisign or alternate systems operators through the
standalone usage architecture. The only solution I see is to work on a
viable medium way which seems to gain progressive support (Cambera reprot,
GAC report ...).
jfc