Re: [ga] Verisign's $200 million commitment for R&D spending

George and all assembly members,

  This is fairly old information in the URL you pointed to George.
Most of us that have been around for awhile are well aware
of it.

  As to Verisigns actual outlay, I would suggest that you pull
their 10K from Edgar and take a look for yourself.  So far,
I did not see any outlay of $$ for .com, .net, or .org registry
development.  And $200m really isn't all that significant
amount for a $1b Market Cap company as their ability to
barrow money it about 3 to 5 times that amount...

George Kirikos wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I noticed in one of Verisign's agreement with ICANN, there is the
> following section:
>
> http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/verisign/registry-agmt-appw-com-16apr01.htm
>
> In particular "During the period between the Effective Date of this
> Agreement and December 31, 2010, Registry Operator agrees to expend a
> minimum of US$200,000,000 for research, development, and infrastructure
> improvements to the .com, .net, and .org Registries (the
> "Improvements")."
>
> Does anyone know how much of this VRSN has already spent? Given today's
> stock price carnage, their market cap is close to $1 billion now, so
> $200 million represents a significant future outlay relative to their
> net worth (when VRSN was at a $30 Billion market cap, it was
> insignificant).
>
> Sincerely,
>
> George Kirikos
> http://www.kirikos.com/

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827