Re: [atlarge-discuss] Re: [ga] Karl's latest

Jeanette and all stakeholders or interested parties,

  Good points here Jeanette.  I agree, as do more and more of
our members that Governments must be directly involved
with ICANN, but they must not fund ICANN IMHO.  The
relationship should be a partnership type of situation, which
presently, even with the USG, ICANN is not.

Jeanette Hofmann wrote:

> On 9 Jul 2002 at 13:19, Vittorio Bertola wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 9 Jul 2002 11:32:42 +0200, you wrote:
> >
> > >Exactly this is at least my reason for voting in favour of the
> > >blueprint as at least a less-worse solution then strong governmental
> > >involvement would be.
> >
> > I share your opinions,
>
> I don't.
>
> and I think this - and the difference between your
> > views and Karl's ones - is a clear example of the major choice we have in
> > front of us now.
>
> Major choice? Does a rejection of the Reform Committee's proposal imply a
> leaving of ICANN? Or a support for stronger involvement of governments?
>
> Take the comments from the RIRs as example.  Do they support the blueprint
> proposal? Certainly not. Does that mean they want the US or any other
> government to replace ICANN? Definitely not. The ccTLDs' position is
> another example. I don't think that the existence of worse alternatives is good
> enough as reason to accept and support the blueprint paper. Either one
> shares its assumptions and goals or not.
>
> jeanette
>
>  The GA has split on this issue, icannatlarge.com has split
> > on this issue, and we don't have an agreed answer for now.
> >
> > Personally, I think that leaving ICANN now (or stopping to cooperate in any
> > form with the Reform process) would be a huge risk. I prefer to be inside
> > the organization, work to get as much as possible from it, even if it's not
> > enough, while trying to gain support for our cause outside of it. But I
> > think it is very unlikely that a direct intervention of the US Goverment
> > could help our cause and restore the At Large as it was. Possibly, it would
> > simply start the First Internet World War with the rest of the world's
> > governments.
> >
> > I think that everyone of us should think carefully at this question and
> > choose a position. For what regards icannatlarge.com, it is very likely that
> > the upcoming elections will determine which way the organization will go -
> > or perhaps, the fact that the organization is unable to agree on which way
> > to go and so to proceed. (Sad but true.)
> >
> > However, I think that a compromise is possible, if at least we start to
> > understand and to respect each other. Personally, I was a little
> > disappointed when being called a traitor by some people, only because I
> > bothered to fly to Bucharest on my own money and speak with the Reform
> > Committee. So I think that we should at least agree on the fact that those
> > who try to get the most from the Reform process, even if it implies
> > supporting compromises that are not satisfying, are not doing so with bad
> > intent.
> > --
> > .oOo.oOo.oOo.oOo vb.
> > Vittorio Bertola     <vb@vitaminic.net>    Ph. +39 011 23381220
> > Vitaminic [The Music Evolution] - Vice President for Technology
> >
> > DISCLAIMER, PLEASE NOTE: This communication is intended only for use by the
> [...]

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827