Joes spin to: Re: [ga] Karl's latest

Joe and all assembly members, stakeholders and other interested parties,

Joe Sims wrote:

>  Karl's latest posting makes you wonder whether the self-imposed
> responsibility for saving the Internet from the barbarians has finally
> gotten to him (and even to his lawyers, if they in fact gave him the
> strange advice he says they did).

  Interesting spin here form you Joe.  Karls previous remarks to which
you refer in no way leaves me wondering about any barbarians or
Karls interaction to such...  Me thinks you protest to much here
my good fellow...

> What is most revealing, however, in this latest message is his obvious
> contempt for his fellow Board members, who according to him are
> hapless and helpless, in the steely grip of a domineering staff and
> unable (some, according to Karl, because English is not their native
> language) to get the real truth of what is going on.

  Karl was quite clear in stating that ALL of the BOD members understand

and speak english quite well.  So I am personally unclear as to your
particular brand of spin here and it's rather obtuse meaning...  ????

> Karl, by comparison, is a self-described big-time player, testifying
> before Congress and meeting with important people in Washington.  His
> comparison in the last hearing to Senators and himself as being
> similar because both were elected was another manifestation of this
> self-delusion, which is both amazing and a little sad.

  I did not again gather from Karls previous comments to which you refer
as
being self described "Big Time Player" as you put it here.  Rather it
seems
that you are just spinning a false characterization upon comments of
Karls
in a suspiciously negative sounding manner.

> In fact, if Karl ever actually spent any time with his fellow
> directors from outside the United States, he would discover that most
> of them speak considerably better English than he (or I) do, as if
> that had anything to do with their critical faculties.  Indeed, the
> personal accomplishments of Alejandro Pisanty, or Nii Quaynor, or Ivan
> Campos, or for that matter Vint Cerf and the rest of the ICANN
> directors, compare quite favorably to Karl's career record of
> accomplishment, I would guess.  And if he ever bothered to actually
> debate the merits of issues with them -- which he does not, because,
> of course, he knows he already has the delivered wisdom -- he would
> know how hard they have struggled with these complicated issues.  If
> he ever bothered to listen, he would have heard his fellow elected
> directors explain why, for example, they thought that online elections
> were not a good way to select ICANN Board members at this time -- but
> since Karl knows better, he does not listen or dismisses these views
> as the result of "fear of the US."   But Karl tells us later that
> ICANN is headed for a "collision" with the US because it is failing to
> comply with its obligations (by which he means elections).  Which is
> it:  fear of the US is buffaloing people like Ivan Campos and Nii
> Quaynor into opposing elections even though they really think they are
> a good idea, or the US is going to force ICANN to, in Karl's words,
> "comport with their obligations?"  Like many owners of delivered
> wisdom, Karl is not troubled by internal inconsistency.

  I think Karl was drawing from the flip-flop of positions that certain
ICANN
Directors and Sr. Staff members have publicly stated...

> I invite readers to review the GAC Statement on Evolution and Reform
> issued at Bucharest.  The US, unlike Karl, was present for an intense
> 2 1/2 day meeting that produced a detailed statement basically
> endorsing the Blueprint for Reform adopted by the Board.  There were
> some dissents or disassociations, like the ITU, but none from the US.
> If we are headed for a collision, where are the signs?

  The signs are from the stakeholders Joe.

> Ah, perhaps from his meetings with important people in Washington, but
> if so, who are they and why are they not speaking out?

  We are speaking out.  We the stakeholders shall continue to do so
Joe...

>  Could it be we have a transparency issue with Karl?  Horrors! Or
> perhaps he mostly has a hearing problem -- zealots frequently hear
> what they want to hear, and only that.

  Indeed zealots such as yourself Joe many times only hear what they
wish to hear.
I don't personally get that impression however from Karl...

> The real issue is not public input into ICANN; there is no dispute
> from anyone that there must be effective mechanisms for the general
> public, including individual users, to make their views known and to
> participate if they choose to in the policy development process.
> Karl's position, and that of some others, is that there is only one
> possible acceptable way for that to happen -- by electing directors.
> The views of many others are different -- that there are numerous ways
> it can happen, and elections (at least today) are not the best of
> those options.

  They (Elections of Directors) are the only way by which adequate
stakeholder
voice can be effected.  SUch may not be what the existing BOD and staff
would wish.  But this is of course understandable...

> This may be an issue that reasonable people can differ on, but to
> Karl, those who disagree could only do so because they are evil, or
> inept, or somehow constrained in their ability to think because
> English is not their native language.
>
> This is either utter nonsense or the ramblings of a zealot.  In either
> case, it deserves the weight that it is getting.  Karl asked to be a
> member of the ICANN Board; nobody dragooned him.  Once given that
> responsibility, he has chosen to ignore his fiduciary obligations to
> ICANN and to this fellow Board members, and to use that platform to
> feed his ego and advance a largely incoherent personal agenda.

  Karl was not given a position on the ICANN BOD, he was elected to it
Joe.
As such, and being elected by the than ICANN AtLarge, he rightly
represented
those that elected him.  Hence your characterization and spin here Joe
seems grossly inconsistent with the facts...

>  Being an ICANN director has given him prominence and attention, and
> apparently that is what he wanted, since he has not even tried to do
> anything iwith his fellow Board members that would possibly advance
> the cause he says he espouses.  He has never missed a Senate or House
> hearing, but he now excuses his lack of attendence at one of the most
> important ICANN Board meetings ever on the fact that it was
> inconvenient for him (as compared, one supposes, to those other Board
> members from around the world that were able to adjust their schedules
> to enable their attendence).  Other excuses for other absences were
> that he was up late and fell asleep, and that he couldn't get the
> phone to work.  In America, every person apparently has the right to
> be irresponsible, but for heaven's sake, the rest of us don't have to
> pretend that it is an attractive character trait.

  Again  your spin here Joe does not jive with what Karl has himself
previously
stated.  I choose to believe Karl before yourself, Joe.

> Karl is part of the old ICANN -- an organization that was as much a
> magnet for every person with grandiose ideas about global democracy as
> it was a serious working body.  That old ICANN is gone -- and is being
> replaced with an organization that still adheres to the core values of
> openness and transparency, of broad public input and participation,
> and of making policy by consensus whenever possible, but does so with
> the knowledge that it still has to all work.

  ICANN and consensus have been and remain strange bedfellows to say
the least Joe.  In order to have a known consensus on anything such must

be measured.  That can only be done by a vote of the stakeholders as
required in the White Paper and the MoU...

> For people like Karl, the new ICANN may not have quite the magnetic
> attraction of the old, but that is not a bad thing.  It should help
> get the decisions that must be made done in a timely and effective
> way.  And that will be a good thing.

  There is not "New ICANN" Joe.

> Joe Sims
> Jones Day Reavis & Pogue
> 51 Louisiana Avenue NW
> Washington, D.C. 20001
> Direct Phone:  1.202.879.3863
> Direct Fax:  1.202.626.1747
> Mobile Phone:  1.703.629.3963
>

> -- This message was passed to you via the ga@dnso.org list. Send mail
> the message). Archives at http://www.dnso.org/archives.html

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827