[ga] Volunteers sought: WLS and Transfers.

On 2002-07-02 12:28:51 -0400, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

>The Board has called for a policy-development process that "should
>have a set time period, probably no longer than 30-45 days".  I
>would like your assistance in proving that this can be done.

The point of policy-development in the DNSO context is to achieve
consensus across constituencies.  If the constituencies (represented
through the council) wish to work through a task force, it will be
rather hard for the individual members of the GA to convince them
otherwise.  In particular, the constituencies' representatives to
the NC most likely wouldn't accept the outcome of a GA working group
as "consensus" in the sense required by the process.

No, for the volunteers:

     It may still be a good idea to supplement Dan's good work on the
     transfers task force by a "mirror working group" which could
     help to bring perspectives into the discussion which may
     currently not be sufficiently represented on the transfers task
     force.  Note: This group would not be intended to replace the
     task force's work, but to provide more diverse input to it.
     Thus, participation means a lot of reading and a lot of work.

     If anyone's interested in participating in such a group, please
     contact me OFF-LIST.

Finally, a word about the survey: It's non-obvious what kind of
transfers policy is actually in the interest of registrants - a new
Verisign customer (acquired due to their fake renewal notices) may
quite well have preferred an Auto-NACK policy with the previous
registrar, while someone else who is actually trying to transfer a
domain name away from his current registrar may prefer Auto-ACK.  A
survey may be a possible instrument to gather the necessary kind of
information.

--
Thomas Roessler                          http://log.does-not-exist.org/