Re: [ga] Grace and Redemption

At 06:06 AM 30/06/02 -0400, Ken Stubbs wrote:

>maybe instead of just talking about the issues , someone should
>suggest a practical solution to the potential propblem being
>discussed here..

Perhaps registrars could agree that the admin, technical,
and billing contacts all receive messages a month in advance
that their domain name is due for renewal. And registrants be
educated that those three contact email addresses all should be
different. The chance of three email addresses all returning
permanent fatal errors is considerably smaller than a single one.

As I said some months ago on ICANNWatch regarding this, it would
serve some well to mine the WHOIS looking for eg: @home addresses.
It would be relatively trivial to write a script that looked for
such or similar, and further looked for names that had the same
actual or even the same provider contact for all three. Now you
know that they are unlikely to receive a renewal notice so you
sign up for a namedrop service for that name.

It's not perfect, some may manage to keep their name because they
are sufficiently clued, but one can imagine there would be ripe
pickings here. Indeed, I'd take it farther and say that if some
who are well served by dropped names were of a devious bent, they
could send virii to ma and pa operations to wipe their hard drives
just short of the time that one's renewal comes up, or hack them,
or whatever (I have other ideas on this but don't want to be giving
out any tips).

So, in response to your suggestion I propose that registrars accept
a 'best practice' that registrants be notified by all available
means that their name will soon expire. As registrars may stand to
increase their income by having the name lapse, this could be seen
as a decent test of the quality of ICANN accredited registrars. -g