[ga] WLS is perfect domain insurance?

During public comment, following the WLS presentation at Bucharest, a
gentleman, who held himself out to be a businessman and speaking on
his own, described WLS, more or less, as perfect domain expiration
insurance.

During his remarks, he indicated that he was already a SnapNames
customer and represented that WLS would be much better because it
would be 100%; leaving nothing to risk or chance.

It seemed the Lynn, and perhaps Cerf (I don't remember), picked up on
the theme of WLS's perfection as opposed to the random chance through
SnapNames and others in the current market.

Of course, there is also similar randomness with WLS, since there is
no guarantee that the gentleman will be the first person to secure a
WLS option on any of his existing domain names. That's particularly
true, if SnapNames is Not accorded any preferential treatment, as
promised by Gomes during the WLS presentation. Therefore, if the
gentleman does not secure a WLS option on his own registration(s),
then the 100% perfection logic takes on a new, and very different,
meaning.

I do speculate, however, that the chances of WLS success probably
improves, with respect to a domain name that is registered for the
first time, when a WLS is immediately ordered. There is still,
however, some (probably small) chance of failure, even then.
Consequently, the "perfection" logic was flawed to a certain extent,
but I don't think that the Lynn, and others on the Board, realized it.

As a side thought, I wonder what would motivate a businessman to spend
the time and money to travel all the way to Bucharest and attend the
ICANN Board meeting. He indicated that was a SnapNames customer, but
that was probably just a coincidence.

----
Don Brown - Dallas, Texas USA     Internet Concepts, Inc.
donbrown_l@inetconcepts.net         http://www.inetconcepts.net
PGP Key ID: 04C99A55              (972) 788-2364  Fax: (972) 788-5049
Providing Internet Solutions Worldwide - An eDataWeb Affiliate
----