Re: [ga] Re: news from bucharest: at large exists again

Jamie and all assembly members, stakeholders of other interested parties,

  Indeed right here Jamie.  It sounds an awful lot like form
gerrymandering or pandering to me.  But thank you for
keeping everyone aware.  You have done a wonderful job
doing that so keep up the good work...

James Love wrote:

> Marc, I think you are missing the point.  It will be easy to get your
> organization included in the at-large.org thing.  It just doesn't mean
> anything.   You can't vote or freely choose your own leaders.  You just
> become a volenteer focus group for the staff, and you get used to allow the
> board to claim they have an at large.
>
> Jamie
>
> Marc Schneiders wrote:
> > On Thu, 27 Jun 2002, at 17:33 [=GMT+0300], Alexander Svensson wrote:
> >

> >>I'm not highly enthusiastic for the ALAC idea, to make that
> >>clear. But it *may* be a way the At Large could prove that it's
> >>not only discussing At Large itself, but also handle issues like
> >>Whois, new TLDs etc. and have a meaningful role in policy
> >>development.
> >

> > Is it not a bit too much to ask people to invest their (spare) time into
> > an enterprise that has many signs of be(com)ing ineffective, because of
> > the way the ICANN Board has so far handled the issue? At-Large efforts of
> > the Board can all be classified as side-tracking.
> >

> >>(Don't attack the messenger, please: I believe
> >>that the At Large can do that. Some Board members clearly
> >>don't.)
> >

> > Attack the Board then? :-/
> >
> > If the Board is serious, it tells us very soon what the criteria will be
> > for organizations to be allowed to be part of the official At-Large. Until
> > such info materializes, I would advise anyone not to waste her time.
> >

> > --

> ------
> James Love, Consumer Project on Technology
> http://www.cptech.org, mailto:love@cptech.org
> voice: 1.202.387.8030; mobile 1.202.361.3040

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827