Re: [ga] FYI: VeriSign audit report posted

Alex and all assembly members,

Alexander Svensson wrote:

> Report of Annual Independent Neutrality Audit
> http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/verisign/ain-audit-19jun02.htm

  I think it is important for the assembly members to know and understand
that the above mentioned "Independent Neutrality Audit" with
has the following opening comment and statement:
"Our examination was conducted in accordance with attestation
standards established by the American  Institute of Certified Public
Accountants and, accordingly, included examining, on a test basis,
evidence about VeriSign, Inc.’s compliance with those requirements
and performing such other procedures as we considered necessary
in the circumstances. We believe that our examination provides a
reasonable basis for our opinion. Our examination does not provide
a legal determination on VeriSign, Inc.’s compliance with specified
requirements."

  As some here are aware and I am quite sure that the DOC/NTIA
is aware that the "American  Institute of Certified Public
Accountants" as well as the SEC are currently reviewing
and making some significant audit accounting standard changes
in the wake of several public company accounting scandals
such as Enron.  The GA members should also note that
in the above quoted text that Earnst and Young did state
that it is not taking legal responsibility for the information
provided by Verisign, i.e. "Our examination does not provide
a legal determination on VeriSign, Inc.’s compliance with specified
requirements"

  Hence my fellow members, this audit isn't worth very much..

> >In our opinion, except for the material noncompliance and the restriction
> >on the scope of our examination described above, VeriSign, Inc. complied,
> >in all material respects, with the ICANN Requirements for the year ended
> >December 31, 2001.
>
> VeriSign response
> http://www.icann.org/tlds/agreements/verisign/verisign-ain-response-24jun02.htm
>
> >As to the two minor areas of concern noted by the Auditors, we cannot agree
> >with the Auditors' conclusion that these items constituted "material
> >noncompliance" with the stated requirements.
>
> Best regards,
> /// Alexander

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827