Re: [ga] "Moderating" the GA list.

On Sun, Jun 23, 2002 at 12:52:38PM -0500, Don Brown wrote:
> Wilber :-)
>
> I think you actually supported what I said.
>
> Rules made by the members of the list are fine. Most all lists have
> them.

It is simply not true that most lists have rules made by the members --
almost always, rules for mailing lists are made by the list owners, and,
ultimately, the owners of the hardware that runs the list.  This is
because the list owners have a legal responsibility for what happens on
the list, and, unlike the list members, they can be tracked down and
held accountable.

[...]

> Let me put it another way and I don't mean this to be disparaging to
> anyone - it's just an example of what I mean: If the Republican party
> controlled what was printed in all the newspapers, at their sole
> discretion, it is rather doubtful that a democrat would ever be
> elected.

Flawed analogy.

You postulate that the republicrats control all the newspapers.  This
doesn't happen in real life, and there is simply no reasonable scenario
by which all mailing lists can be controlled; people are free to start
their own mailing lists, and indeed there are already multiple lists
totally outside of ICANN that discuss the same things that the GA list
does, and there is significant overlap in membership.

--
Kent Crispin, Technical Systems Manager, ICANN            crispin@icann.org
"Be good, and you will be lonesome."  -- Mark Twain       kent@songbird.com