RE: [ga] .org price breaks

This message posted on behalf of The .org Foundation (theorgfoundation.org)

Good question Rick.
I can tell you we struggled with this one.
We devoted some text to it in our proposal.
The question was: why lower prices if the lower prices
will not be passed to the registrants, especially
low volume purchasers (the majority of .org registrants),
for whom the registry exists to service?
We can see this already.  Most registrars do not charge
slightly lower prices for .info and .biz names, even
though those names cost slightly less than .com and .net
Why not keep more to do "good works"?
Since the price to registrants (especially those who
purchase just one name) is generally the same either way,
the registrars in effect would be paying for the "good works",
if the price was higher.
Additionally, who's to say this will continue?
A competing registrar in the future may well choose to
service the .org community by passing on the lower fee
to .org registrants.  This can only happen if there is
a lower fee to pass on.

What we decided was to set the price to cover expenses.
Any "good works" would be covered by 3rd party matching funds.

The maximum price that we proposed ($4.95/name-year)
covers running an efficient, robust and stable registry and
still provides a  small amount for the registry to respond well
to the needs of the noncommercial Internet community, and to
support that community.
At this price, which I believe is one of the lowest proposed,
we figured only a portion of the ICANN endowment
would be needed to help cover expenses and
contingency costs of the registry.

Terry Drayton
Executive Director
The .org Foundation