Re: [ga] Blueprint to purge the critics

James Love wrote:
>Roberto Gaetano wrote:
>>Well, I believe that the GA should be able to take votes on matters
>>relevant to its mission and matters relevant to its internal functioning.
>>For instance, should be able to elect its chair.
>>If the GA starts becoming a body whose main purpose is to vote motions,
>>moreover addressed at bodies outside ICANN, like in the recent past, the
>>results are before our eyes.
>
>     Which means what?  You agree that the GA should not record opinions if
>that offends the ICANN board?

Which means that the GA should be able to take votes on matters relevant to
its mission and matters relevant to its internal functioning, irrespective
on whether this offends ICANN board or not, and should refrain from voting
on motions outside the scope of its mandate, irrespective on whether this
offends ICANN board or not.

I donīt understand why you introduced the element of "offending the ICANN
board", that was absent in my reasonment. Why do you think it should be an
important element in determining what should the GA vote on?

>>That the GA should be able at all to make recommendation to the Department
>>of Commerce, or to any other Department, or to the Security Council of the
>>United Nations, or to the local council of the Automobile Association of
>>America, is questionable.
>>Personally, I have always endorsed a vision of the GA as a forum for
>>debate, with capability to take a vote on a specific set of issues and
>>under specific circumstances. Of course, the motionmania has brought us in
>>a different direction, and now we have to face the consequences.
>>Remember the "suicide of the GA" thread?
>
>    Yes.  And your point is what?  Live unfree and don't die?

My point is that the GA should mind its own business, and not be derailed by
interests and discussions that are not in its mission, which is, IMHO, to
provide a forum for debating issues related to the DNS. If the GA will do
(possibly effectively) the things it is supposed to do, it will live free
and survive, if it neglects its mission, it will die (free or unfree is of
course irrelevant).

Regards
Roberto