RE: [ga] WLS

Here's a brief set of corrections to be sure everyone has the dispassionate
facts:

The distinction is not speculators versus "normal" consumers; as many have
correctly pointed out, this distinction doesn't get you very far. Rather,
the problem we're addressing is service of a *few* customers -- whoever they
may be -- and exclusion of the majority of customers. Speculators are among
our best customers; we have no desire to see them disadvantaged. What we do
want to see is the system being more transparent to unsophisticated users,
one in which evidence of use by *all types* of customers is readily
available.

There is no evidence that any non-speculator customer -- IP owner,
corporation, etc. -- uses any of the "competing" services referred to.
Whether they are capable of being found or not (mostly not, and when found,
confusing and sometimes very expensive), there is no question that consumers
are simply not finding them. There is no evidence to the contrary, though it
has been requested for months.

Although our pricing, like much of the debate taking place over WLS, is not
legally relevant to the ICANN Board's review of VeriSign's proposed WLS
price, we apply the same pricing rules to all SnapBack customers on an equal
basis. We do and have always offered volume discounts, as any business does.
Because this is standard business practice, and is in fact followed by all
registrars, it's unclear why it is relevant here, even under the still
legally unsupported standards of relevance held by WLS critics. So yes, we
do offer "fair first-come first-serve treatment of all customers."

If the other implication is that we provide greater resources to certain
customers than to others, regardless of price, that would be an incorrect
implication. We provide exactly the same resources and service to each
customer, regardless of the volume of the customer or the value of their
desired name.