RE: [ga] WLS

<---cut--->
> As to whether making the distinction between "investor" and "consumer"
> is important:
>
> Speculators are an important component of many markets, because they
> make the market more efficient.  Many people feel that justification is
> not present in the case of domain names, and that speculators add nothing
> to the market but more middlemen.  That is generally considered a bad
> thing in any market, and many people would like to minmize it.  Hence
> an argument that a proposal will reduce the amount of speculation has
> weight with many people.  (I don't know if Chuck Gomes was making that
> argument or not.)
>
> Kent

Yes, but I don't believe anyone has made the argument that WLS in any way
reduces speculation.  In any case, I don't believe reducing speculation in
domain names is within the scope of ICANN's duties just because "many people
would like to minimize it".  Speculation reducing, and whether or not there
is a need to do it, is unrelated to technical coordination in any way shape
or form.

Best regards,

Jeff

--