Re: [ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] WLS proposal

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002, at 02:13 [=GMT+0100], Olivier MJ Crepin-Leblond wrote:

> >From: "William X Walsh" <william@wxsoft.info>
> >Subject: Re: [ga] Re: [ncdnhc-discuss] WLS proposal
> >
> > How naive.
> >
> > You think people use the whois published date to find out about
> > expired domains?
> >
> > Trust me, they don't.  That would be the worst, and least effective
> > way to do it.
>
> I'd be interested in finding out how they would find out about
> expired domains. Could you please spell it out to us?
>
> I can think of ways requiring a CRON job that repeatedly checks
> the availability of a domain name in the DNS, or within the WHOIS
> database, but admittedly this would be much of a hit and miss method,
> wouldn't it?

One diff's the .com zone of today and that of two (or four) weeks ago.
The names that have been dropped, will expire (well, most of them) soon.
On these one keeps an eye.
This does not work for names that have no nameservers. Alas, that is
possible in .com.