RE: [ga] [ncdnhc-discuss] Re: WLS proposal

> >  If the domain
> > holder had let the domain expire by mistake, they would then be alerted.
> > If the domain holder did not make a mistake, they would then be informed
> > that (a) the domain has value and (b) the name of one or more persons
> > willing to buy it.  In every case where someone actually contacted the
> > previous owner of the domain, the domain owner would be better off.

...which makes the point of the WLS what, exactly?  If the point was to
allow "average registrants" to register expiring domain names (although I am
still in search of the average registrant), then you have effectively thrown
those "average registrants" to the mercy of (a) a newly-empowered registrant
of a domain name she thought he was just going to allow to lapse, and will
now simply renew for the mere fact that someone else out there wants it, or
(b) a pool of bidders sitting on the WLS for that name.

There IS such a system.  It is called "Afternic.com".

> 2. Speculators will love it. They will let their names expire, just to
> find out who is interested and how much...

Ah... so the trick becomes to stay OFF of the WLS if nobody else is ON the
WLS for the domain name you want, and then to race other
non-WLS-participating speculators in order to grab the domain name the
moment the unsuspecting registrant allows it to expire.

Could somebody remind me again of what problem the WLS is the proposed
solution?

And if the problem is "SnapNames can't compete effectively without a
monopoly", you can cry me a river.