Re: [ga] South African .za ccTLD administrator takes drastic action to prevent government takeover

Frankly as an Australian, and someone who has been involved in administration
of the .au ccTLD I welcomed the intervention of the Australian government
in assisting auDA to take control of the .au space from its previous delegate.

Robert Elz (the previous delegate) did an excellent unpaid job in maintaining
the .au space for many years however he was neither elected to that position
nor was he responsive to the needs of the internet community in Australia
in recent years.

We now have a domain space in Australia that is managed by a body that is
accountable to the internet community.  Whether they manage the space well
or not remains to be seen but at least there has now been a number of major
steps forward - namely the easing of the over-restrictive allocation policies
in place and the creation of a potentially world-class registry operation.

I don't see anything there that makes this a bad move at all.  Australia
has a vigorous democratic process and is capable of managing its domain
space in any way it sees fit.

regards

Jon Lawrence