Re: [ga] RealVideo archive of Senate Hearing on ICANN

Hello,

[If I post before midnight my time, it won't count against tomorrow's
quota of 5 posts!]

On the video, one of the major "successes" that was acknowledged was
that ICANN had succeeded in promoting competition, and that should be
maintained as part of its mission.

Clearly, WLS would be anti-competitive -- it reduces consumer choice,
creates monopoly rents for its operators, and destroys existing
competitors and innovation at the registrar-level with regards to
expired names, by leveraging the existing registry monopoly.

I would hope that after viewing the video, the DNSO transfers task, the
Names Council, and the ICANN board itself evaluate WLS and other
proposals as to their impact on competition.

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/