Re: [ga] .ZA administrator says may be forced to shut the ccTLD down

At 06:45 p.m. 7/06/2002 -0700, William X Walsh wrote:

>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020607/wr_nm/tech_internet_safrica_dc_1
>
>The government is seeking to nationalize the .ZA registry, over the
>objections of the administrator, who is saying that he may be forced
>to shut the ccTLD down if the law is passed.
>
>Someone tell me who the idiots were who made the governments believe
>they had any rights at all to manage the ccTLD namespaces themselves.

Governments, whether democratically elected or not, typically take any
rights for their public as they see fit.
They do this by making laws that are supposed to be scrutinized by a
democratic parliamentary process.
In a democracy, the majority rules.

That is how, ultimately, the voters are responsible for the deeds of their
governments.

Do you have an issue with the Parliament of South Africa or with democracy?

>This action by the South African government is even more stupid than
>the actions of the Australian government who did the same thing in the
>last year.

That depends entirely on your viewpoint.
Governments can get very uncomfortable with absence of  control.

--Joop Teernstra LL.M.--
   interim webmaster
www.icannatlarge.com
Sign up and spread the word.