Re: [ga] Companion Dispute Proposal to WLS Service

earlier this morning, John Berryhill wrote :

> If WLS is implemented and it becomes the one and only way to secure
> registration of expiring names, it is clear that there will be people who
> will hoard WLS slots.  Some of the expiring names will, no doubt, correspond
> to trademarks of others, and these trademark owners will be thus prevented
> from securing registration of the domain names to which their trademark
> entitles them.

Ummmmmm I have a feeling someone has his tongue firmly in-cheek
but...for those that took John seriously...

a domain name corresponding to the trademark of others does not
automagicall give the others rights.
For example, should delta.com come free I figure there are about 3,459
companies ( I made this number up cause I was too lazy to do a search)
that might consider Delta to be their mark, especially if they didnt
learn about the difference between descriptive and distinctive and
disinfectant (the keen observers will note that the last 'd' has nothing
to do with intellectual property at all).

--
Dan Steinberg

SYNTHESIS:Law & Technology
35, du Ravin		phone: (613) 794-5356