[ga] Re: Redelegation issues

Dany,

The Re-delegation issues are very complex ones, and the ccTLD
have work in progress.

No matter how we consider the initial designation of ccTLD managers
(in 1980s it was hardly an establishment), none of them have an
international immunity. That is the reality of facts.

When the ccTLD manager has a presence in the country or territory
to which the two letter code relates,
the re-delegation has to be seen as a purely local issue.
Only the local Internet community including the government based
on the legal system of the community will guarantee that the
requirements of the community are fulfilled. There are however
duties attached to the function of ccTLD manager and to the
corresponding local internet community and its government:
stability of the Internet, responsibility and service to the
Internet users.

The RFC1591 issued in 1994 is of screaming actuality:
  a.. "The designated manager is the trustee of the top-level
      domain for both the nation, in the case of a country code,
      and the global Internet community.";
  b.. "It is appropriate to be concerned about "responsibilities"
      and "service" to the community.";
  c.. "The designated manager must be equitable to all groups in the
      domain that request domain names."

ICANN's mission statement with respect to ccTLDs has been documented
in the past:

   a) The White Paper[1] identifies that the political role of
      ICANN relates only to matters of the gTLDs and NSI's monopoly.
      Notably, the role in relation to ccTLDs is constrained to
      that of technical co-ordination.
      ccTLDs are mentioned twice in the document:

      * in DNS Today Management, "More than 200 national, or
        country-code, TLDs (ccTLDs) are administered by their
        corresponding governments or by private entities with
        the appropriate national government's acquiescence."

      * in Creation of the New Corporation and Management of
        the DNS, "Of course, national governments now have,
        and will continues to have, authority to manages or
        establish policy for to their own ccTLDs."

   b) The first Memorandum of Understanding[2] does not refer to
      ICANN's role in relation to ccTLDs.

   c) ICANN's Bylaws consider ccTLDs as one of the seven partners
      of the DNSO, which relates to the gTLD space.

[1] www.icann.org/general/white-paper-05jun98.htm
[2] www.icann.org/general/icann-mou-25nov98.htm

Elisabeth Porteneuve