[ga] Research: Which domains do the Fortune 1000 use?

From time to time, discussion on this list has turned to questions of
registrar choice (whether for personal or organizational registrations) and
of register financial viability going forwards.

One data source that can be brought to bear on both these questions is a
listing of registrars used by large corporations such as those on the
Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 lists.  This data -- answering the question
"Which registrars do the Fortune 1000 companies use?" -- is also arguably of
some academic interest among those who study the domain name business and
the positions of the various registrars.

With that motivation, I've prepared a list of the primary domain names
(according to Fortune Magazine) of each of the Fortune 1000 firms, along
with the registrar used by each.  I've also compared registrar market shares
among the Fortune firms with registrar shares more generally (thanks to SOTD
for data), and I've discussed in greater detail a few of the possible
implications of the results.

My work on this subject is available at:
  <http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/fortune-registrars/>

As always, I welcome comments -- on-list or via email -- as to other helpful
and interesting research questions, and possible ways to go about addressing
them.

Ben Edelman
Berkman Center for Internet & Society
Harvard Law School