Re: [ga] Deletes: Registrar Code of Conduct solution

Danny and all assembly members,

  Good point here Danny.  And one that should have been included
in the Registrar contracts from the beginning.

  However, shouldn't such a "Code of Conduct" for Registrars also
apply to the "Registries"?  And, shouldn't such a "Code of Conduct"
be approved and voted upon by registrants?

  I would rather see however the Registrar Contracts amended, as
we recommended way back when, to include provisions for protection
of the registrants rather than a "Code of Conduct".  This would give
the the registrar and registry contracts some actionable teeth by which
the ICANN BOD or staff could than adequately enforce on a much
more uniform basis as part of their oversight authority/responsibility.
Also the DOC/NTIA, which also has oversight authority could
take action(s) if such amendments were added to the Registrar
and Registry contracts...

  Of course I would also suggest strongly that Registrants/stakeholders
should have a voice and a vote on such amendments to the Registrar
and Registry contracts as it directly effects them...

DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

> With regard to "deletes", Thomas writes:  "Creation of such a policy would
> require a formal consensus process".
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/nc-transfer/Arc00/msg00197.html
>
> This is not "exactly" true.  The Registrar Accreditation Agreement stipulates:
>
> 3.7.1 In the event ICANN adopts a specification or policy, supported by a
> consensus of ICANN-Accredited registrars, establishing or approving a Code of
> Conduct for ICANN-Accredited registrars, Registrar shall abide by that Code.
>
> All ICANN needs to do is to adopt a policy.  If such policy is supported by a
> consensus of ICANN-accredited registrars that ratify it into a Code of
> Conduct, then the problem is solved without a formal DNSO-wide consensus
> process.
>
> At issue is whether the registrars will ever adopt a Code of Conduct...

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827