Re: [ga] deletion policy - what should it look like?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Thomas Roessler" <roessler@does-not-exist.org>
To: <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 10:42 AM
Subject: [ga] deletion policy - what should it look like?

> One of the things which have come out of the TF calls is that there
> have been quite a few people calling for a uniform domain name
> deletion policy (which I hereby baptise UDNDP).  What should this
> policy look like?

One of the things that the records will need to keep in them then is who the
previous IP user was and what they registered it for. Otherwise this system
will invalidate IP ownership under current US Law I believe. For instance.
I register "Embedded-Machines.com" which odlly enough is one of my domains
and run a computer company from it that builds a greenhouse controller that
is a pci board.

Now suppose I let is lapse, but continue to operate the company
"Embedded-Machines.com". So the marque is regualrly in use under the
trademark statutes and as such clearly not abandoned. Now someone else wants
to start a computer company that builds a rbotoics unit and controller for
it. Would the PTO issue them a TM agsinst the same moniker? I think not, and
that is the problem...

As to letting domains lapse, the real issue is the lockout and that it is
unreasonable. No Registrar can prevent anyone of its customers for
exercising whatever rights they chose against their IP's being published by
the Registrar. Lets be real clear on what a Registrat is all about. They are
a "Publications Agent for the public dissemination of an Internet Marque."

Todd