Re: [ga] Roessler Comments on Mission Paper

Dear Joe,
thank you for your posts. I am impressed: it means that the GA becomes
worth participating, for you and for us.

What about sticking to the mission statement of the USG? Usually missions
are decided by the one giving it, not by the one receiving it. If you are
not satisfied by it: let vote and support Jamie's motion so the USG has to
commit with a better and new text.

The key issue is that ICANN needs legitimacy and to be controled.
Legitimacy can only come from:
- a government delegating it
- members sharing it
- the market accepting it
- necessity

You do not want to have Members, you do not want @large, you call on Govs
but do not want to hear from them...  This leaves you only necessity. With
the bonus of no control ... as long as it lasts.

This means the need to make you necessary, ie as Kent put it well, mainly
to make believe you are necessary. You were succesfull up to now. But is
that stable? will it last? will Govs (you called upon them) accept it for a
long?

You know better. IMHO it may probably go for another patch.
But to want to run the root server system was most probably an error.
jfc

On 15:06 22/05/02, Joe Sims said:
>While these are cogent comments, they do illustrate the difficulty of
>actually writing something called a "mission statement" that is both
>something more than a listing of specific acts that are permissible (which
>is certainly not a mission statement that would be useful on a going
>forward basis) and writing something less specific that is not subject to
>the kind of word-smithing that Thomas has done.  I renew the invitation
>that ICANN has made for several months now:  If anyone thinks they can
>write a better mission statement, please do so.  There seem to be a lot
>more editors than authors in the ICANN population.
>

>Joe Sims
>

>--
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.