Re: [ga] WLS call follow-up

Hello,

--- Dan Steinberg <synthesis@videotron.ca> wrote:
> how it's sliced, Verisign  Registry can technically claim market
> share
> support in the registrar business for their WLS proposal.

Market share support has never been an accepted "standard" for
acceptance of proposals. Verisign only attempted to invent that as a
criteria when the accepted standards for acceptance showed that WLS was
soundly defeated.

If Verisign wants to make it a new standard, I think we could see some
very interesting "votes" in the future. How about a vote that insists
that Verisign divest itself of either its registry business or
registrar business? I'm pretty sure we could find a majority by market
share support in favour of that one, amongst others.

The notion of 'consensus' was discussed eloquently by Michael Palage,
here:

http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg02075.html

"When the constituency was first formed, the concept of one
registrar-one vote was deeply entrenched into our discussion for
obvious reasons, at that time NSI had a 100% of the market. Over the
years the one vote per registrar regardless of size has remained a
founding principle of the constituency."

One can read followups here:

http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/mail35.html

Thus, it's entirely inappropriate to consider market-share numbers used
to advance this proposal (plus, even if a majority of registrars is in
favour of proposal X, it doesn't mean that it's LEGAL, or doesn't
affect other parties negatively).

For instance, registrars might decide that minimum registration prices
should be set at $12 (anti-trust, price-fixing). Or, on a proposal like
WLS, the supporters of a proposal might be *slightly* in favour of it
(i.e. maybe they benefit by a few thousand dollars from it), whereas
the opponents of a proposal could be *seriously* damaged from it (to
the extent of millions of dollars, like an eNom or Dotster).

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/