Re: [ga] WLS call follow-up

Interesting numbers.  But given that you figure the remains add up to
maybe 10% and the original claim worked out to 17.5% we are not talking
much of a difference. 10% -17/5% is not a big spread. The large numbers
are still the 40% which belongs to the Verisign registrar.  No matter
how it's sliced, Verisign  Registry can technically claim market share
support in the registrar business for their WLS proposal.

Alexander Svensson wrote:

> At 21.05.2002 21:34, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> >1. Chuck: In the presentation you made to the task force and all
> >those attending the call, you talked about registrars with a total
> >market share of 57.5% supporting the proposal.  I already mentioned
> >during the call that, after substracting Verisign's own market share
> >of about 40%, we end up at a mere 17.5% of market share; this is
> >comparable to the market share you mention as being opposed to WLS.
> >I believe that it was Rick Wesson who asked how much of that
> >remaining market share in favor of WLS actually belongs to
> >registrars owned by or affiliated with Verisign.  Could you please
> >provide some clarification of this on the GA list?  Thank you.
>
> This is the presentation:
> http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/nc-transfer/Arc00/ppt00002.ppt
>
> Let's see -- the original claim was 18 registrars supporting WLS
> (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg02170.html),
> but it seems that 2 have retracted their signatures
> (http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/msg02177.html).
>
> Jim Archer writes in that posting that he has been told that
> VeriSign owned five of the signing registrars. It's easy to
> confirm each of these cases with Google's help.
>
>  VeriSign Registrar, Herndon, VA, USA
>
>  NameEngine, New York, NY, USA
>  (http://www.nameengine.com/about/press/ceo_verisign.html)
>
>  NameSecure, Moravia, CA, USA
>  (http://www.icann.org/melbourne/verisign-submission-29mar01.htm)
>
>  SRSPlus, Los Angeles, California, USA
>  (http://www.srsplus.com/en-def-82b225ecaf3f/en/srsplus/about_srsplus.shtml)
>
>  Registrars.com, Los Angeles, California USA
>  (http://www.registrars.com/)
>
> Furthermore, DomainSite.com (another signatory) is listed as
> one of SnapName's "strategic partners".
> (http://www.snapnames.com/partners_strategic.html)
> NameScout is one of SnapNames' registrar partners
> (http://www.snapnames.com/namescoutterms.html).
>
> Who is left?
>   SiteName, Rishon Lezion, Israel
>   (seems identical with Galcomm.com, Rishon Lezion, Israel)
>   BulkRegister.com, Baltimore, MD, USA
>   ChinaDNS, Beijing, China
>   DirectNic, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA
>   DomainMonger.com, Washington State, USA
>   Go Daddy, Scottsdale, AZ, USA
>   Namebay, Monaco
>   NameSystem, Bridgetown, Barbados
>   Neteka, Toronto, Canada
>   Register.it, Bergamo, Italy
>
> So what is the percentage of registrations represented by these
> registrars not affiliated with VeriSign or SnapNames AND
> supporting the WLS?
>
> Using data from https://www.sotd.info/sotd/Content/Documents/sotdQ102.pdf
> (which ironically is published by SnapNames...) I arrive at
> the following com/net/org market shares:
>
>   ???? % SiteName
>   0.00 % Galcomm.com
>   5.39 % BulkRegister.com
>   ???? % ChinaDNS (only listed for .biz)
> [...]