Re: Membership criteria - was [ga] NC BS

On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 02:41:03AM -0700, Gary Osbourne wrote:
[...]
> If that wasn't the case, why was I, and I
> know I'm not the only one in this situation,
> allowed to register?

Perhaps because the issue hadn't come up before.  Announcements to
slashdot make the possibility of ballot stuffing by large numbers of
of uninformed voters look a whole lot more serious.

> Why not just take those
> considered members of those three groups and
> combine them to form the voting roll, if those
> are the only ones allowed to vote?

There are addresses subscribed to the lists for other purposes than
voting (archiving, press, etc).

[...]

> I took this to mean that while some members might
> also be GA list subscribers, or participants in
> Constituencies, or Working Group, when it came to
> the voting roll, all were equal. Otherwise, why
> include that phrase?
>
> In my own case, as I travel extensively, sometimes
> sans connection, I didn't find constant subscription
> to the GA list as manageable.

Many people travel extensively, and handle it.  And the number of
messages to the announce list is in fact rather small.

[...]

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
Technical Support Manager, ICANN            lonesome."