Re: [ga] Procedure.

Thomas,

>The mode of operation I have proposed is asking two questions (to
>speak in terms of the rules):
>
>	1. Should the GA adopt resolution A?
>	2. Should the GA adopt resolution B?
>
>Since the objective of this election is to have one resolution in
>the end, I have added the rule that the resolution which receives
>most "yes" votes is the one we consider the ultimate outcome of the
>vote.

I am happy with grouping the vote, not only because of cost considerations,
but also because of clarity: it will be confusing for the people who did not
follow the debate on the list, but are registered to vote, to receive at
short intervals different ballots for similar motions.

This said, I believe that we have to do everything possible to ensure that
the voters' choice will be correctly recorded, and interpreted.

First of all, I would recommend to include in the ballot text the urls of
the two motions, so that people cannot be confused on which is A and which
is B.
Secondly, I do believe that (to follow up with Gary Osbourne's example) if
motion A gets 90% and motion B gets 91%, they should both pass, except that
we have to draw political conclusions from the fact that one got more
support than the other.
I am deeply uncomfortable with the potentially endless discussion that will
follow a "non-adoption" of a 90%-approved motion.
In short, I dislike motion #1, I believe it is out of scope, I hope it will
not pass, but if the GA insists on voting on it, and it gathers support, let
be it!

Regards
Roberto