Re: [ga] ICANN conflict of interest policy and spousal employment

At 10:23 PM 13/05/02 -0400, t byfield forwarded:

>From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@syr.edu>
>
>According to the transcript, the Board member who pushed the
>Board away from non-profit was Robt. Blokzijl. See the transcript at
>http://www.icann.org/accra/captioning-afternoon-14mar02.htm
>
>And guess what? Mr. Blokzijl has a special relationship to
>Neulevel. His wife was hired by Neulevel a few months after
>they were married. Lynn Blokzijl is the Neulevel representative
>in the Netherlands.
>
>Even if this is all "coincidence," it doesn't make ICANN look
>very good. Mr Blokzijl had better recuse himself from the .org
>redelegation discussion, decision and all other aspects of the
>process.

Arguably he should have recused himself prior to
the .org discussion, given the potential conflict.
Now that this has come to light, in most civilized
countries he would resign. But that is if one is
an elected official, and one is civilized. He can't
claim ignorance of the need for recusal as he was
one of those who did so regarding the new gTLDs:
http://www.icann.org/tlds/tld-review-update-01nov00.htm#AvoidingConflictsofInterest

Hmmm, Centralnic. They sell ccTLD/gTLDs:
http://www.centralnic.com/page.php?cid=57
By special appointment of Jon Postel no less:
http://www.centralnic.com/page.php?cid=32

One wonders idly if Blokzijl recused himself
from discussions about reserving two letter
sLDs in new TLDs (and in the .org redelegation).

I don't suppose it would be in order for a motion for
the GA to come up with a new marketing slogan for ICANN.
Too bad. My vote would go to: ICANN - Not juat a spectacle,
we're THE bad optics corporation. -g