Re: [ga] ICANN conflict of interest policy and spousal employment

t byfield and all assembly members,

  I think this is a very good idea.  Perhaps the GA should draft a
resolution or motion to indicate it's concern and desire for such
a modification to section 7 of the ICANN bylaws addressing
COI considerations given the recent events???  I would be happy
to work with anyone of drafting such a resolution of motion
that the GA members may consider, amend, or otherwise
evaluate...

t byfield wrote:

> i'd like to suggest that the GA consider a resolution advocating
> a change to ICANN's conflict-of-interest policy so that it covers
> spousal employment.
>
> cheers,
>
> ----- Forwarded
>
> From: "Milton Mueller" <Mueller@syr.edu>
> To: <discuss@icann-ncc.org>
> Cc: <nc-org@dnso.org>
> Subject: [ncdnhc-discuss] Board conflict of interest on .org
> Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 16:10:42 -0400
>
> Those of us who were not in Accra had trouble understanding
> what happened to the DNSO policy statement on .org. We were
> particularly amazed by how the Board, without any warning
> or any supporting public record, reversed position on
> giving .org to a non-profit organization, proposing to allow
> major commercial registries to bid for it.
>
> Now it is possible to understand better what happened.
>
> One of the companies that has been making it clear that
> they want to be involved with .org is Neulevel. Before Accra,
> they were making it known that four people were assigned to
> the .org bid full time.
>
> According to the transcript, the Board member who pushed the
> Board away from non-profit was Robt. Blokzijl. See the transcript at
> http://www.icann.org/accra/captioning-afternoon-14mar02.htm
>
> And guess what? Mr. Blokzijl has a special relationship to
> Neulevel. His wife was hired by Neulevel a few months after
> they were married. Lynn Blokzijl is the Neulevel representative
> in the Netherlands.
>
> Maybe this is just a coincidence. Maybe Mr. Blokzijl's insistence
> that .org be given to a company with "demonstrated experience"
> and the Board's subsequent vote to permit commercial applicants
> was unrelated to Neulevel's lobbying campaign. Maybe Neulevel's
> hiring of Mrs. Blokzijl had absolutely nothing to do
> with the fact that she was married to a Board member.
>
> Even if this is all "coincidence," it doesn't make ICANN look
> very good. Mr Blokzijl had better recuse himself from the .org
> redelegation discussion, decision and all other aspects of the
> process.
>
> --MM
>
> ----- Backwarded

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number:  972-244-3801 or 214-244-4827