Re: [ga] Procedure.

roessler@does-not-exist.org (Mon 05/13/02 at 11:20 AM +0200):

> 3. To evaluate the vote, we'll mostly follow Jonathan Weinberg's
> earlier suggestion: You'll be able to vote on each resolution.  The
> resolution which gets most "yes" votes will be considered to have
> been accepted, under the additional condition that more than 50% of
> voters accepted it.

thomas, this is a really strange -- and totally unnecessary -- method
to announce so suddenly. what *should* be a yes/no/abstain VOTE ON a
resolution is, by these rules, transformed into a COMPETITION BETWEEN
resolutions. the 'suddenness' of this method is a by-product of the
lack of structure that has characterized this non-process so far. and
i won't even get into the 50% rule, which strikes me as an effort to
determine the outcome by adopting an arbitrarily complex method.

either you have thought through the consequences of these 'rules,' in
which case i'm afraid to say that i actively mistrust your exercise of
your duties, or you haven't thought through these rules, in which case
it's my obligation to challenge the rules you've proposed. i'd prefer
to do the latter, which leads me to propose a defensible alternative:

there should be a ballot with a single resolution on with yes, no, and
abstain options, and the results should be evaluated on a purely com-
parative basis: did more people support or oppose? in the event of a
tie, the result should be interpreted as a no.

cheers,