Re: [ga] Role of GA

Philip,
I think we could use the experience of the EEC parliament. They use to vote
by lists of questions. We could easily have all the position taken by the
NC listed on one ballot (two lines and an URL) and people having to cross
yes or not or to respond Y, N, B to a numbered line. Anyone cad develop the
necessary tool.

This would be a way to speed up decisions. Motivate the GA and give more
interest into the NC. There is no reason why the NC would be considered as
an adversary by the GA. I know that everyone is afraid of democracy, to
some extent with reasons (nobody know which fool is the other), but we all
believe itis the least worst and globally efficient. Again here we do not
want representativity, but to make sure we benefit from a diversified
selection to make sure every type of interest had a say.
jfc

At 17:05 06/05/02, DannyYounger@cs.com wrote:

>Philip,
>
>By definition the GA is already the complete and full membership of the DNSO
>(that many constituency members choose not to actively participate in either
>their own constituencies or the GA does not diminish their rights as members
>to cast a vote to ratify the decisions of the group they have elected to
>join).
>
>Democracy is a wonderful institution and I prefer to solve our problems by
>giving each DNSO member the right to vote to ratify Steering Council
>decisions, rather than to continue denying them the right to vote while you
>pursue non-democratic alternatives.
>
>You have nothing to fear from such democratic voting.  If the Council does a
>good job formulating policies that reflect the consensus views of the broad
>membership, then all Council decisions will be ratified by the
>One-person/One-vote mechanism.  If they aren't ratified, then this is
>indicative of the fact that more work is yet required.
>
>Checks and balances are important in any organization.  A democratic vote
>functions as such.  I see no drawbacks to a pure democratic voting process
>that involves the entirety of the membership of the DNSO.  Do you?
>--
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---