[ga] Proposal: GA survey vote on Committee draft

At 01.05.2002 23:56, James Love wrote:
>2.  Could we have a vote on whether or not we would like the US Department
>of Commerce to rebid the ICANN contract, on the grounds that ICANN is
>abandoning the original promise regarding at large elections and bottom up
>consensus decision making, with all stakeholders included?

Dear all,

here is a proposal what we could do:
In about a month, the Reform Committee will present its
reform proposal (my personal guess is that it will be
a slightly amended version of Stuart Lynn's proposal).
What we could do is to take the points in the Committee
proposals and take a vote on them, including alternatives,
in an open vote.

One example:
 Question 3:
 The Committee proposes to derive additional funding
 by a small increase (around $ 0.20) of registrar fees.
 See Commitee proposal, part XI.
 [ ] I agree with increasing the funding.
 [ ] I don't agree with increasing the funding.
 [ ] I agree with the source of funding.
 [ ] I prefer additional governmental funding.
 [ ] I prefer additional funding from stakeholders.

We could add some of the more radical proposals like
rebidding the contract by the United States, transfer
to an international treaty organisation etc. as a
question at the start or the end of the survey (which
should, for practical reasons, not be longer than ten
questions, I think.)

Rationale:
First of all, if the GA holds a vote before the Committee
presents its proposal, we cannot react to the final draft
and it is easy to say that this draft already reflects
the concerns which have been raised. If we agree or don't
agree with the final draft, it's harder to ignore it.

Secondly, I think an open vote is more persuading and
actually more useful than a secret vote in this case.
The questions are interconnected, so it is helpful e.g.
to see what kind of mission people want if they don't
want to increase the budget etc. etc.

I believe this is the way we can deliver input which is
(a) to the point and (b) not easy to ignore.

Best regards,
/// Alexander