Re: [ga] Bulk WHOIS Data Issue

Hi Sotiris,

--- Sotiris Sotiropoulos <sotiris@worldatlarge.org> wrote:
> Not quite.  I agree with much of what you wrote in your "audacious
> post", but trademarks are not "like domain names" as you say here.

Oh, it wasn't meant to be a perfect metaphor. It's just an example of
something where there's a central database of contact info. I forgot to
mention another example which might have been more relevant, which is
the ARIN Database for IP addresses (I guess there's also RIPE, and the
Asian version too, although it seems the blocks they grant are so
enormous that there's no granularity to narrow one's search for the
contact of a particular IP range).

> You want an economic argument (leaving aside the privacy issue for a
> moment), let us consider the very nature of ICANN's heretofore
> technical
> coordination role, its benefits and costs.  What have they
> coordinated,
> what has it cost, and who has benefited?   As we all know, the

I believe their travel agents have been major beneficiaries. ;)

(I'm reminded of some of the hilarious arguments over WLS, that no one
at the public forum in Ghana spoke up against it -- lol! As though
typical registrants affected by this are going to get their
immunizations shots, and fly to Africa to speak up. Same for
Romania...)

Sincerely,

George Kirikos
http://www.kirikos.com/